In terms of specifics, here is a rundown of what StarCraft: Remastered offers:
• Widescreen UHD support for up to 4K
• New illustrations to "enhance storytelling" in the campaign missions
• "Advanced matchmaking"
• "Full connectivity" to Blizzard's online network
• Cloud saves for campaign progress, custom-made maps, keybinds, and replays
• Eight new languages in addition to the five that came with the original
"While these improvements will bring StarCraft to the modern era, gameplay and balance have been precisely preserved, for an experience that will feel identical to veteran players," Blizzard said.
In preparation for StarCraft: Remastered, Blizzard Entertainment will update StarCraft: Brood War later this week to version 1.18. The update will include bug fixes and improvements, including the ability to rebind keys; observer mode; modern anti-cheat measures; compatibility improvements for Windows 7, 8.1, and 10; and more. Once the update is live, StarCraft Anthology, which includes the original game and the Brood War expansion, will be free to download and play.